Thursday, April 11, 2013

There's an Ostrich on My Easel

Craft stores are dangerous places for creative types.  I can go in with plans for one idea and come out with a multitude more, or I can get completely overwhelmed by all the options.  I had the former experience recently as I went in search of nifty letters to create an alphabet wall for a bun in {someone else's} oven.

As I was walking past the bead aisle I was struck by a lovely color combination:

I love the khaki green and earthy tones with the metallics and the ballet slipper pink.  I like how the addition of the pale pink to this palette softens the otherwise utilitarian feel and warms up the metals to give the palette unique richness and depth.  


I've been thinking about painting an ostrich for a couple of weeks- they're such "odd birds," which makes them perfect for a whimsical makeover.  Of course, as you can below, my take on this palette had a darker green, a lighter pink, and antique gold in place of silver tones.  Taking a break from my typically bolder hues, more muted hues seemed more appropriate for this endeavor.  She's still a work in progress.  I imagine her beak will be shades of silver, her back cloaked in purples, and then we'll add a little life to her eyes.




2 comments:

  1. Thanks Bonnie! She's taking up temporary residence in my office. Hope you're well!

    ReplyDelete