Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Birthdays Galore, Part 2

I've finally, almost, maybe completed this month's birthday cards...at least I've caught up with the "overdue ones."  Here are my most recent creations.  




Can I just be brutally honest and say, when drawing "chocolate" cartoon frosting, it's very hard not to make the icing look like a cartoon doggie 'chocolates.'  You know what I'm saying?!  I might have failed here, I'm not sure, but for future reference, it is helpful to not have the bottom of your icing be perfectly flat.  Either let the "cupcake" come up over the "liner" and draw the "icing" wiggly on top of that, or draw the "icing" overlapping the "liner."  I prefer the second approach because it looks more decadent, and it's easier.

I hope I haven't been too crass just now, but you see for all my serious thoughts, I have at least a handful of silly ones to go along with them.

Moving on...







I'm fairly obsessed with these new bunting style ones.  They were pretty straight forward, but time consuming.  I had a bunch of little scraps of tissue paper lying around from another project {I may feature that later}.  That's the thing about creative types, we can become pack rats as we up-cycle things. But that's the beauty of arts and crafting is it not?  That nothing is ever too little, too crumpled, too insignificant, or too damaged to be given a new life in a new creation.  
{See why I think of God as the ultimate artist?}

Process: Draw {imperfect} line(s) in alcohol-based ink
-watercolor wash--- allow to dry
-draw V shapes connected to the lines.
-cut out triangles within the V-shapes
-cut various triangles of tissue paper slightly larger than the cutouts
-dab glue on the reverse side and paste on tissue paper
-Voila, colorful bunting card.



My final creation surprised even me.  I only had a scrap of paper left, but-as I discussed above, those are the best "crafts."  I folded it in half and something made me think to do a fox.  One lucky friend will receive this card which, on the inside, says "I heard it was a foxy lady's birthday!"


No comments:

Post a Comment