Tuesday, February 26, 2013

A Studio Tour

In full disclosure: my studio no longer looks like this.  As I've mentioned previously, a tornado of creativity has struck.  My desk is littered by bottles of paint, stationary, and library books galore.  There are discarded palettes and partially completed canvases leaning against the walls.  A bigger and better easel now occupies the same corner as more boxes of magazine clippings and it is certainly time for some spring cleaning.

However, this is my art studio. My pride and joy and favorite room in my house.  When we first toured this house my heart leapt with hope and joy as my then fiance and I decided we would use the enclosed porch as my art studio.  It was one of the first rooms I put together when I moved into the house, mostly out of necessity as I have accumulated quite a bit of art supplies.

(The view from the doorway)
(Sorry I'm not sorry for the sorority paddle, but I do apologize for the darkness)

(My desk area, obviously) 
 I like to be surrounded by color and pattern and I prefer to have tools like scissors, pens and pencils readily available so I don't have to hunt for them in the bottom of a drawer.


As I mentioned, this black easel has since been replaced.  What I forgot to mention in my legend is how this window faces into the living room of our house so periodically my husband will raise the shade and peak in if I've been too quiet for too long.

It's not a very large space, maybe 8x12', but with sufficient storage and a little elbow grease it's pretty perfect.  As you can see, it's stuffed to the gills, every nook and cranny, with things that beg to be given a voice. 

I really enjoy all the natural light it affords me; hence, why it's difficult to be super crafty on dreary days.  In any event, I hope you enjoyed this tour of my little haven.

No comments:

Post a Comment