Wednesday, February 13, 2013

e(dot)e: That's Me!

Whimsy's misspelled. 
I know.
But whimsy's such a great word and sometimes a great approach or attitude towards things, especially artistic endeavors.  Whimsical is probably a nice way to describe my art. ("My art," it took a lot to type that but we'll get back to that later.) When you spell whimsy with a double e, specifically whimse.e, well the e(dot)e part is me!  I'm e(dot)e, at least my first and middle initials are e.e.  

It makes for monogram magic apparently.  If you've noticed, there's been an explosion of monogramming, well, everything.  So as my friend and sorority sister once pointed out, my parents really did me a solid because a large last name initial anchored by the same letter on either side provides nice symmetry, and monogrammed E's are pretty.  This  has been all the more apparent to me since I recently got married and changed my initials from eBe to eMe.  Monogrammed B's, well they're pretty; fortunately M's aren't too shabby themselves.  This was confirmed by the proprietor of a monogramming shop who gushed over plans to produce a traditional, script-y EME on a recent purchase.  Don't worry dear reader, I haven't monogrammed everything that will lay flat or sit still, yet.  Moving on.....

As I promised, let's get back to "my art." I'm a creative type.  This blog will likely be filled up with my creative inspirations, works, and struggles.  One of those top artistic struggles is recognizing myself as an artist, without rolling my eyes.  I've referred to myself as a crafter, designer, and I'm playing with the term illustrator,  but something in me cringes when I say I am an artist. Tisk. Tisk.  I make art. I, however inconsistently, keep art journals, and lately when my friends have questions about art, they've come to me.  Some might say that qualifies me as an artist.

So E.E. makes art, and we know it's whimsical.  Let's be honest and say that when I make art, it is rarely very serious in content.  I just can't seem to make art that has a dark social commentary or satire, and I don't know that I want to do be dark.  I have embraced the whimsy, and the freedom that comes with it is of course the freedom of imperfection. I like the idea of making art that is, as google defines whimsical, "playful...or fanciful, esp.[sic] in an appealing and amusing way."

Why "saturated" whimse.e? I tend towards saturated hues, bright colors and jewel tones, bold earthy colors, but not so much pastels, etc.  Recognizing that trend in color use, I also like the idea of something that could not be any more whimsical than it is now.

e(dot)e...well that's me, the artist, crafter, daughter, dog-owner, illustrator(?), wife, and xenophile behind this blog.  All my other labels we can tackle later.  Now it's time to get down to business and get creative!

2 comments:

  1. Get it girl! You're amazing. I can't wait for the rest of the world to see all the AWESOMENESS that you create! The world NEEDS YOUR ART!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Audrey!! You're such an amazing support in this endeavor!!

    ReplyDelete