Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Tallahassee Tuesday

I probably haven't told you yet, though I think most of my readership is friends and family who already know, but- I live in Tallahassee, FL.  I love it, but I didn't always.

I first moved here almost 4 years ago as a grad student.  It was the first time I lived alone and so far from home.  I hated my first year here- imagine being over eight hours from home and everyone you know, and caught in limbo between college-aged and adult.  As a grad student I didn't quite fit with the college crowd or the "young professionals."  It took about a year for me to branch out from the small program in which I was enrolled and uncover the treasures of Tallahassee life.

Tallahassee can be good soil, if you can dig in deep enough to weather the constant turnover of the young adult population.  There are lots of great churches, sweet boutiques, nearby towns/counties to explore, beautiful back roads, delicious restaurants, and good people.  I found that once I knew a few people and found a handful of "go-to" hangouts, I started to feel the sense of community for which I searched.

Lessons I'm learning: Love where you Live, or more poetically, "Bloom where you're planted."


2 comments:

  1. Of course I can't forget my awesome alumnae friends who were so welcoming and helpful!

    ReplyDelete